Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Share and Voice: Boxed Water

Photo from: boxedwaterisbetter.com
Okay, Boxed Water, this is completely crazy.  I understand that the people who came up with this idea are trying to be environmentally friendly, trying to get rid of disposable plastic bottles, but are they nuts?  Since learning about the sale of bottled water and what it really means to our environment I have become pretty frustrated with the companies that are bottling up something that should be free and selling it for profit.  I think that selling water is unethical and very selfish.  With that said, I think that the creators of this product were probably informed about how bad disposable plastic bottles are for the environment and came up with the first solution they could think of to get rid of them, but are uninformed about the effect the sale of water has on the environment.  They do say that they care about the world's water supply and they donate 10% of all sales to world water relief foundations, and another 10% goes to reforestation efforts.  As you scroll a little further down their "Environment" page they note that since they are still starting up their company they haven't been able to afford to donate anything quite yet.  Like I said, I think their idea is crazy and I also think that selling water is unethical, but, take a look at their website for yourself and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is nuts! The first thing that came to my mind also after looking at the website and pictures was that this was the first thing they thought of using instead of bottles, boxes. Who is gonna buy a box of water over a bottle of water? NO ONE, and no one should buy bottled water either. I think they are going to stay a young company because I don't think it's going to pick up for them unless we all go crazy. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of such a thing! I think it is a little ridiculous that they are trying to box water and on the box they write box water is better. I really don't see the benefit of boxed water compared to bottled water. It just shows that if you slap a silly statement on something, people will buy it.

    ReplyDelete